Sunday, December 5, 2010

Brrr...December in Warsaw

Hello!

So after returning from sunny, warm Cairo to Warsaw...Warsaw decided it was time for winter to start and in a big way! Today it is actually sunny which is VERY rare...the past two weeks have mostly been comprised of snow, snow, and more snow. Last week we had two snowstorms! The first one was a real doozy - it snowed for over 15 hours and left us with a good foot of snow. The rest of the week it flurried and was freezing cold. Wednesday's high was 3 degrees Fahrenheit...brrrrr.

I was even colder due to the fact that my new, warm coat complete with a furry hood (which was sent out to me from Deerfield over a month ago) did not reach me until 2 days ago! I had quite the saga with the Polish post office system...which is apparently comprised of lots of different post offices which have no discernible connection to one another - each post office appears to be in complete isolation. Needless to say, after visiting my local post office over 6 times, traveling 45 minutes to the "main" post office, and getting on a metro 2 times to go to the "other main" post office, I was in SHOCK when I received a call saying my package was at the "other main" post office, ready for me to pick up. I essentially sprinted to the post office out of fear that if I didn't get there immediately the package would disappear again to some far-away, unknown post office in the suburbs of Warsaw. I got there, went to the counter, and finally go my beautiful package! Well, the actual package looked like it had seen better days...there were scribbles in Polish all over the package...but the contents contained my coat, totally unharmed and VERY warm! Here's a pic of my coat, and below, the reason I need it :





So the last weeks have been chilly, but Warsaw sure loves Christmas, and all the decorations and lights make the cold worth venturing out into. And despite the cold weather that comes with it, the snow is very pretty and makes the city look beautiful.

Not a whole lot to report...I've been busily researching, handing my surveys on political attitudes out to various classes, and anxiously awaiting news from law schools! I'm home in 2.5 weeks, and VERY excited to see my family and Romeo and Sammy (our dogs).

Keep in touch, everyone!

Sending Holiday Joy,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment